Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mother in WWII
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Mother in WWII
My mother, Katherine (Kathleen) Beatrice Garner served in the RAF (W.A.A.F.) She enlisted in 1942 while married to a Frederick James Pitts and discharged in 1945. She was divorced sometime during her active service, and reverted to her maiden name of Garner.
After discharge, she apparently married a Canadian soldier named Harry Elmo Huycke. I was the product of that union.
She was reluctant, like so many veterans, to discuss what she experienced. Only two things would she say, and never repeated. One, she observed a direct bomb hit on an ambulance that was in front of her. She was driving one herself. Secondly she'd been buried in a basement of a house as a result of a bomb strike. She refused ever to enter any type of basement from that point on.
There were some very brave persons, who while never in direct combat, that one must acknowledge and give full respect to. Especially true, I'm thinking, that served in London, and other areas of the UK during the Blitz and after. I cannot imagine the horrors, pain, and suffering they went through. I grew up in America. I admire the fortitude and bravery of those in Britain who experienced the horrors of that time. Thank you all for those sacrifices that have allowed me to enjoy and appreciate the life I have now. May they never be forgotten.
Find all posts by this user
27-10-2010, 08:13 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2010 08:15 AM by BarnesDoors.)
RE: Mother in WWII
Great post - we should never forget what any of the people went through during those terrible years. I can't imagine what those experiences would have been like for your mother. My Grandfather was in WW2, and I was told he never spoke of his experiences either. If asked, he just changed the subject.
31-10-2010, 05:00 PM
RE: Mother in WWII
Yes I agree - we can only imagine some of the horrors they experienced.
My Father served very briefly in WW11 and he would never talk about anything at all relating to the war Smile
Thread Closed