Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pub landlords/pub's
09-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Smile Pub landlords/pub's
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good websites for researching into pub landlords/ladies? My great grandparents were the landlords of a pub in Dorset at the beginning of the 20th Century/ late 19th century and it would be great to find out any further information or even better... photographs! I also believe that my great grandmother was made a widow and then became the the landlady of that pub! If there are any cd's or helpful books that anyone could recommend etc too that would be greatly apprecited!

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2009, 03:57 PM
RE: Pub landlords/pub's
(09-07-2009 03:48 PM)GreyDoubt Wrote:  Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good websites for researching into pub landlords/ladies? My great grandparents were the landlords of a pub in Dorset at the beginning of the 20th Century/ late 19th century and it would be great to find out any further information or even better... photographs! I also believe that my great grandmother was made a widow and then became the the landlady of that pub! If there are any cd's or helpful books that anyone could recommend etc too that would be greatly apprecited!

Thank you!

hi grey! if its the late 19th century, maybe try the census records and bmd records? bmd index .co.uk is a good site, i found an elusive ancestor on there myself! census records can also be helpful!

for books i've got a copy of tracing your family history which is brilliant, i believe theyve released a new edition recently (saw it in waterstones shop the other day and it looked different to my copy!)

hope you find them,, sounds like an interesting family!Big Grin
- ford
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
(09-07-2009 03:57 PM)Ford2002 Wrote:  

Thank you!

hi grey! if its the late 19th century, maybe try the census records and bmd records? bmd index .co.uk is a good site, i found an elusive ancestor on there myself! census records can also be helpful!

for books i've got a copy of tracing your family history which is brilliant, i believe theyve released a new edition recently (saw it in waterstones shop the other day and it looked different to my copy!)

hope you find them,, sounds like an interesting family!Big Grin
- ford

Hi Ford,

Thank you for your reply, I think I'll have to have a browse online at the census and see if what I have been told matches up with the records and keep my fingers crossed that they are on there! Somebody I was speaking to recently also recommended kelly's directorys so I think I might look into that too and see if there is anything around for Dorset that I can put on my wanted list!

Thanks again!
13-07-2009, 01:22 PM
I've recently come across Dorset Kelly's directories on www.GenealogySupplies.com, three of which cover the early 1900's, so these may be quite useful to you. Smile
14-07-2009, 06:51 PM

Thank you!

Hi
It might help to go to the Dorset record office as there might be Quarter Assize Records held there from the application for a licence.
hawkeyeSmile
15-07-2009, 08:40 AM
(14-07-2009 06:51 PM)hawkeye Wrote:  

Thank you!

Hi
It might help to go to the Dorset record office as there might be Quarter Assize Records held there from the application for a licence.
hawkeyeSmile

Hi Hawkeye,

Thank you for your helpful information, sounds like thats definately worth investigating, I shall have to have a day out at the records office too!

GreyDoubtSmile
14-01-2011, 06:46 AM
hey grey.... one my friend has did the same , although it wasn't a tough thing u asked coz dorset record office always help so he also did the same and went to get the record of his great grandfather...... but nice to see that people do participate here..... happy that ur problem is solved Smile
Thread Closed